If you’ve been in an accident, you probably want to know your rights. You also want to know what you can do to help yourself. One of the most important steps is hiring a personal injury lawyer. A good personal injury lawyer will ensure everything is done properly and get you the money necessary for medical bills and other expenses caused by an accident.
1. Talks to you about your case
It’s important to understand what a personal injury lawyer does.
- The injured party is referred to the lawyer by the insurance company, which pays for the case.
- An attorney can represent the plaintiff or defendant; it depends on whether they want legal representation.
- The attorney might work with an investigator to gather evidence that can be used in court (this includes recording interviews with witnesses).
2. Investigates the cause of your accident and any previous accidents at the location
A personal injury lawyer will investigate the cause of your accident and any previous accidents at the location. Determining whether someone’s negligence caused the accident is important for determining whether or not you have grounds for compensation.
A personal injury lawyer may also want to determine whether someone’s negligence caused previous accidents at this location or if they were due to defective products (like faulty brakes on their car).
3. Identifies potential defendants and insurance policies
The personal injury lawyer will identify potential defendants and insurance policies.
The personal injury lawyer can help you determine if the defendant has insurance, how much coverage they have, and what type of coverage it is.
4. Gathers records
The personal injury lawyer will gather all the necessary records for your case. These include:
- Record of the incident (police report, witness statements, photographs)
- Hospital records
- Witness statements and conversations with those involved in the accident or injuries sustained by you or a family member.
5. Takes steps to preserve the evidence
- Take photos of the accident scene.
- Take photos of injuries.
- Take photos of damages to your car, including broken taillights and scratches on the side panels.
- If you were involved in an accident, take a picture or two of where it happened (if possible). This can help identify where other cars were at the time and any potential witnesses who may have seen what happened.
6. Finds expert witnesses
The personal injury lawyer will also find expert witnesses for the case. These individuals can provide testimony in court and may include:
- Medical experts (e.g., doctors)
- Accident reconstruction experts (e.g., engineers, scientists)
- Mechanical experts (e.g., carpenters or roofers)
The Gainesville Injury Attorneys can help you if you’ve been injured in an accident. They will listen to your story, investigate the details of your case, and find out exactly what happened. The lawyer will also work with experts on your behalf to make sure that the best possible outcome is achieved for you. Let your injury lawyer know if there is anything else that they can do to help get you back on a path towards recovery!