As a pet owner, you want what’s best for your furry friend. And part of that is making sure they have a safe and comfortable place to call home. But what about when they want to go outside? A pet door is a perfect solution for giving your little friend the independence to come and go as they please, while still keeping your home safe and secure. But with so many different types and styles on the market, it can be hard to know where to start.
Different types of pet doors
Depending on your needs, you may want a door that is weatherproof, has a built-in flap, or even one that is automatic.
Weatherproof Pet entrances are great for those who live in areas with extreme weather conditions. They are typically made from heavy-duty materials and have a seal that helps keep the elements out.
Built-in Flap models come with a flap already installed. This can be helpful if you are looking for a pet door that is easy to install and does not require any additional tools or hardware.
Automatic Doors – As the name suggests, these models open and close automatically. They are usually activated by a sensor that is triggered when your pet gets close. This can be a great option for those who want the convenience of an automatic entrance but do not want to worry about their animal getting out when they are not home.
Considerations for choosing a pet entrance
There are many factors to consider, including the size and energy level of your animal, the climate you live in, and whether or not you want an entrance that is visible from the outside.
The first thing to consider is the size of your cherished one. You’ll need to measure your animal from the ground to the top of its head, and then add 2-3 inches to that measurement to find the appropriate size. If you have multiple pets of different sizes, you may need to install multiple entrances or choose one with an adjustable flap.
Next, think about your animal’s energy level. If they are always on the go and love to run and play, you’ll want a durable product that can withstand a lot of wear and tear. On the other hand, if your furry friend is more low-key, you can opt for a less durable (and less expensive) door.
Finally, take into account your climate. In colder climates, you’ll want an entrance with an insulated flap to help keep heat in and cold out. In warmer climates, look for a door with ventilation holes to help keep your home cool.
The best products on the market
There are a lot of different doors on the market, and it can be tough to decide which one is right for your furry friend. But don’t worry, we’re here to help!
The PetSafe Freedom Aluminum Pet Door is our top pick. It’s made from durable aluminum and has a clear flap that allows your cherished to see where they’re going. It also has a built-in locking panel, so you can control when your pet has access to the outdoors.
If you’re looking for something a little more budget-friendly, the PetSafe Plastic Pet Door is a great option. It’s made from sturdy plastic and has a flap that opens and closes automatically. It’s also easy to install, so you won’t have to hire a professional.
The Ideal Pet Products Ruff-Weather Pet Door is perfect for homes in colder climates. It has an airtight seal that helps keep out drafts, and it comes with a built-in sweep for added protection against the elements.
Places to Find the Perfect Door
- The Internet – You can find a pet door to fit any entrance in your home by searching the internet. There are many online retailers that sell it, and you can find a wide variety of models to choose from.
- Pet Stores – Most of these stores will have a selection of doors to choose from. You can find items made from different materials and of different sizes.
- Home Improvement Stores – Home improvement stores such as Home Depot or Lowe’s usually carry a few pet doors in stock. You may not have as many choices as you would find at a dedicated pet store, but you should be able to find a quality product that will fit your needs.
- Online Auctions – Sites like eBay offer a great way to find new and used doors at discounted prices. Just be sure to check the seller’s feedback rating before making a purchase.
- Local Classified Ads – Check your local newspaper or online classified ads for people selling pet doors. This is a great way to find gently used items at bargain prices.
- Craigslist – This is another excellent source for finding used doors for sale in your area. Just be sure to exercise caution when dealing with sellers you don’t know personally.
- Freecycle – If you’re looking for a free pet door, check out Freecycle, an online network of people who are willing to give away items they no longer need.
- Yard Sales – You may be able to find a pet door for sale at a yard sale or garage sale in your area.
How to install it?
Begin by measuring the entrance or opening you will be installing them into. It is important to get accurate measurements so that it will fit snugly and not cause any gaps that would allow outside animals or pests inside.
Once you have your measurements, mark off the door or opening where you will need to cut out a space for the entrance.
Next, using a saw, cut out the space for the installment. If you are not comfortable using a saw, you can always hire someone to do this step for you.
The next step is to install the frame into the hole you just cut out. Make sure that the frame is level and flush with the surface of the door or opening.
Finally, insert the flap o into the frame and secure it in place according to the instructions that came with your particular pet door model.
Now your furry friend can come and go as they please!
There you have it! Our top picks for where to find the perfect pet door for your furry friend. No matter what your budget is or what style you’re looking for, one of these options is sure to be a great fit for you and your pet. Thanks for reading, and we hope you found this guide helpful.