A pearl is considered a symbol of purity and beauty. It can be either cultured or natural and is a bright gem that is hard in nature. It’s made from the soft tissue of a shelled mollusk. It can also be obtained from an animal like the conulariid, and it’s made up of calcium carbonate in crystalline form. They are known to be smooth and round; they are also available in other shapes, like baroque. The most precious ones occur in the wild, and they are termed natural. The majority of these gems that are found in the market are known as cultured. They come from oysters cultivated in freshwater.
They are the only gems that are obtained from living creatures; these are both salt and freshwater. The ones found in the market are mostly cultured since the old ones are scarce for purchase. First, you need to know if it’s natural or cultured. Whether it’s saltwater or freshwater, there is no difference in value.
Akoya is part of the saltwater category, and it’s grown in China and Japan. They have a circular shape, are available in white, gold or cream shades, and come in sizes that range from 2 mm to 10 mm. The South Sea nacre is found in Indonesia, Australia, and the Philippines. The Tahitian ones are not really from Tahiti, and their size ranges from 8mm to 16mm; they come in many colors like gray, blue, purple, and green. There are those that are found in ponds, freshwater lakes, and rivers in China. They also come in different shapes and colors as well.
Factors to consider:
- The type of oyster used to produce this underwater gem influences its color. The shade can also determine the value. Color choice is a personal taste, and it ensures that you choose vibrant colors as the color is well distributed. The shade can range from gold and silver for South Sea, Black Tahitian, and white Akoya.
- The size affects the price even though it does not affect the cultured quality. It comes in millimeter measurements (mm.)
- The light that is reflected from the exterior glow and deep mirror reflection is called Luster. The better the nacre quality, the better the luster.
- Shape: The ones that are circular are considered valuable and rare. There are other shapes that are also preferred as a teardrop, button, and baroque.
- They come with blotches and small marks; this forms part of the texture and makes it unique. The marks are formed by sea particles that cause friction against it.
You can purchase yours from https://www.pearlsofjoy.com/ to avoid any fraudster as this brand has been serving customers with supreme quality jewelry for over ten years now. There are a few types that are commonly known today. These are:
- Freshwater: Natural and Cultured freshwater pearls
If you want to know whether it’s is real or not, you can use a “tooth test.” To do that, you need to rub it lightly against the tooth and note that it’s not against the edge. This helps avoid scratches from occurring. It should feel gritty rather than simulated, and this happens to natural or cultured ones. There are imitation ones in the market, and they are mostly man-made and formed from beads. They are made to look like real ones. The raw materials used include plastic, real mollusk shell, and glass.
How should they be stored?
- They need to be kept in a soft cloth, like a soft pouch as they help thwart scratches. Avoid jewelry boxes because they tend to damage and scratch the jewelry due to sharp edges.
- After hairspray and perfumes, the jewelry should be the last item to be put in your purse. This is due to the fact that those products contain alcohol and harmful acid.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe them after you wear it.
- Don’t put them in soapy water; use a damp cloth with mild soapy water (no detergent)
- No mechanical systems should be used, like steam, because they are sensitive to heat.
- Ensure you wear them occasionally and not every day, that is if you don’t have protective measures.
Pearls are known to be diversified, and they are available in different sizes, colors, price, design, and quality. This means no matter your budget, you can purchase one. Each is fabulous in its own way. With different options outlined, it’s easy to choose which one you want to buy.